Monday, January 18, 2016

Strive to Please God, Thai Basketball, and Nightly Concerts


Hey everyone!! 

Okay! I feel like the weeks are going so fast, but this week was good! I will start off with the funny stories: 

Brownies in the Elevator:
This week Sister Coates and I set up this FHE where we went to help teach some members how to make brownies at Sister Granges house (one of the senior missionaries). It was really fun, and a lot of the members (it seemed) had never used a mixer before, as shown from the brownie batter all over the wall!  haha That's not the story though. The story comes in when we were about to leave. We had to go pa little early, as we had an appointment at the church, so Sister Grange gave us this metal tin to put some nearly cooked brownies in, as well as some plastic forks. Hurrying to our appointment, we head in to the elevator and proceed to eat the brownies on our journey down 22 floors. Then the elevator stops and this British lady gets in.  Sister Coates offers her some brownies, but then the lady disapprovingly remarks, "No thanks, I wouldn't want to spoil my appetite." We all laugh, and then as we get out of the elevator Sister Coates turns to me and says, "We were fulfilling every single stereotype of Americans right then by eating those brownies in that elevator." We laughed so hard! As I write this I realize this probably won't be that funny to you all, maybe you just had to be there.
 
The Concert
This story happened like every day this week. So we live in this apartment building which backs onto this giant concrete parking lot where they hold a lot of big concerts. Many nights when we are doing our nightly planning (or are going to bed) we hear loud music and cheering. Sometimes it is really funny when the cheering coincides with something we say.... it's like we have a soundtrack to our life. Anyways, one night as I was going to bed, I could hardly sleep as all I could hear was someone shouting (in english), "Put your hands up, put your hands up...okay everyone, scream!!!!!" Suffice it to say that isn't exactly the most peaceful sound to hear when you are trying to sleep. haha

This week I also was able to go on a switch off with Sister Donlaya, she is a cone Thai and is so cool! She served in Mahasarakham too so we had lots to talk about!! 

What else... oh yeah! So lately we have been doing sports night at the church on Fridays, and we usually play basketball. Lots of Thai people have never played basketball so it is hilarious and awesome! This week we were playing, they were all traveling and stuffing (fouling) us soo much we decided to teach them the rules. Once we did that it was even funnier, as they really got into it! 

While teaching a recent convert this week he told us of a cool experience. He said the last couple of weeks or so he had been feeling discouraged and stressed with all he had to do.  He was sitting at work (he is a graphic designer) and he had this thought come into his head saying, "You should think about all the good things that have come into your life because of the gospel." So he did and after that felt so happy and peaceful. If I remember correctly, he also connected it to how we can remember Christ always, not only by just remembering him and his sacrifice for us, but by remembering all the good that has come to us because of living the gospel. Count your blessings. 

My spiritual thought for this week actually comes a bit from last week as well. So last week after I gave my talk in church we sang the song, "I'll Go Where You Want Me to Go." I had never thought much about this song, but I remember thinking how I loved the words, "I will be who you want me to be."   Later that day, the lady who picks the music came up to me and said how amazed she is that each week, the music she selects goes exactly with the speakers talks in church. She realized how it is really led by the Spirit. The next day in my studies I was reading this talk, and it quoted that song where it says:

 There's surely somewhere a lowly place
In earth's harvest fields so wide
Where I may labor through life's short day
For Jesus, the Crucified.
So trusting my all to thy tender care,
And knowing thou lovest me,
I'll do thy will with a heart sincere:
I'll be what you want me to be.

I love this. It made me realize that Christ loves us, and because of this we can assuredly and sincerely do His will, thus being what he wants us to be. Like they said in General Conference, "our way is always lacking and limited."  The lesson I feel has been reemphasized to me a lot lately is - not to do so much what I think is best, and what will bring others happiness, but to do the will of God and strive to please Him, not other people. That is where true happiness and confidence comes from. 

Love you all!

Sister Remington 




No comments:

Post a Comment