Monday, July 27, 2015

Broken Bike and a Medicine Man

Hey Everyone!!! 

This week was a bit of a struggle, but 2 really funny/not funny things happened. 

The first thing:  When I was emailing last Monday my bike fell over and the derailer broke. This is a very important bike part.  As it was P-day, we still really wanted to go to the driving range and also try to ride Kwais in Roi-et, so I scooted my bike with my feet and "ran-rode" it to the bus station. So many random Thai people were killing themselves laughing at me. 


Later, with the aid of Sister Nok, a LA member came to help me fix it!  He looked at it and said, "We have to order a new part, and it is going to take a while". Then, he proceeded to take my bike apart and tried to make it work with this other chain and no gears, but in the end...it didn't work. Durring this interaction I  realized that, although I thought I knew Thai, I have  nooo bike vocabulary, so it was a real struggle to explain the problem. 

Here's my phone call to get bike help:

Me:   It is like that thing that makes it pedal....it's broken.

Sis Nok:  The chain? The tire?

Me:  No...that one thing that, ya know, lets you ride your bike.

Sis Nok:  I am sending Brother T over.

Anyways, it eventually got fixed thanks to Sister Nok and the other really helpful member, Brother T. 

Here is a pic of Sister Nok to the rescue (and my companion)


Story number two:   This week I went to Roi-et to try and figure out why all of my hair is falling out.  We visited with the senior couple there, the Stokers, and I was relieved to find out that it was a common problem with ALL of the sister missionaries in Thailand.  Sister Stoker said that she had the same problem until she went to some doctor (I think he was a strange medicine man) across from the giant Buddah statue, and he gave her some things to fix it. She said it worked for her in three weeks, so we decided, hey, why not try it!  She told us exactly what to get from him, so I wasn't worried. However, when we got there and the "doctor" (medicine man) asks for our birthdays, and looks them up in some "health book".  Then he feels our fingers and asks me if I have a pain in my back?  I was thinking this was all so hokey, so I said, "NO!", but in truth I did, but wasn't going to tell him!  ....Anyways he gave us some stuff to take for our hair-loss problem, and we are really hoping it will work soon!  It was all sooo funny, and the whole time I kept thinking, "this is soooo out of a movie right now." 

What else...this week I went on a switch off to Roi-et. It was soo fun!! With the new focus of President Johnson, we spent a lot of time visiting some LA's! We printed off all the addresses and then went to the post office to find out where they lived. It didn't help that much, so in the end basically random Thai people just took us around to where these people lived. Thai people are so nice. I think this new focus will bring a lot of teaching opportunities!

I saw this Trampoline in Roiet, and had to jump!

Sunday at church was awesome!! Brother Sing blessed the Sacrament for the first time, and got called as a Sunday school teacher! I was sooo happy. Also Brother Seth gave his first talk in Church and did such an awesome job!! I couldn't stop smiling the entire sacrament meeting. 

My thought from this week comes from the song my little sister, Sawyer, sang in church this past Sunday. My Dad sent me a recording of it and it was sooo good, and today this verse feels really relevant. 
These lyrics come from the 3rd verse of the song, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me." 

He is always near me,
though I do not see Him there,
And because He loves me dearly,
I am in His watchful care.
So I’ll be the kind of person
that I know I’d like to be
if I could see the Savior standing nigh,
watching over me.

I know that even if we can't always see it, we are being watched over and are receiving help. This morning I listened to a talk by President Uchdorf and he said something that stuck out to me, "It is our reaction to adversity, rather than the adversity itself that determines our destiny." I know that whatever we face in our life, it is for a purpose...even if it seems hard in the moment. I know that if, no matter the circumstances, we strive to choose and be who we need to be, we will learn and grow so much. I know that our Savior is real and is watching out for us, always.

Love,

Sis Remington 



No comments:

Post a Comment